Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Autumn in… Alexandria!


Alexandria, in October at 7 am, by the sea. No one is around except old people exercising, few people jogging, one cycler and a few cars every now and then on the street.

Oh, I love Alex in Autumn. Always have always will. It is warm, sunny sometimes raining yet so warm.

I thought it was just one time that I did love Alex, but looking out that window I’m back to my first love. The wide open sky and sea, no boundaries no apartment blocks, no pollution.

I could leave everything behind now. No worries, no man, no work. Wonderful! I need this silence every once in a while. Need the world to leave me alone and to stay away from the hassle.

Take one step in the street and you’re in the heart of the city/ Go to the beach and you forget the world. That’s the unique thing about Alex. This dichotomy. It is not like Sharm el Sheikh with its mega shopping, beach and nightlife. And although Sharm is great in the winter too, I like Alex better.

And it had a surprise for me this time. Wild pigeons. I love pigeons, and it was always a shame that you never see them flying or on the streets in Cairo. I always used to see them close in footage of Mecca and Italy and dream that I could be that close. It was amazing, their greenish grey was beautiful. I wish I had the cam with me, didn't occur to me to use the phone cam either. It was just wonderful being around them.

It was just the weekend, but a perfect one. Weather was great, met nice people - it was a group trip, was able to separate myself and work when I needed to, Costa Coffee was 5 minutes away and so internet available – I definitely wasn’t gonna pay 77 LE per hour at the hotel! –, I was staying alone in a room – also great for a person like me who likes to be left alone sometimes.

This was a short-lived yet much needed break.

No comments: